Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas lights downtown

As promised, here is part 2 of my blog about Ukrainian Christmas.

In the evening, I took bus #18 to Maidan Nezalezhnosti.  Independence Square is where the Orange Revolution took place a few years ago.  My plan was to walk through Maidan, down Khreschatyk, and then up the next road to end up by Zoloti Vorota (Golden Gate).  From there, I would visit one of our KCA families and hang out with them for a bit before catching the bus home again.




They had about 20 of these kiosks, where you could buy anything from shashlik (grilled meat) to Orthodox icons to toys


Central post office building

I started my walk between the third and fourth buildings

Lovely lights...plus a scary hippo

Nesquik bunny!
You could get your photo taken with these characters...I chose to just take photos of them with random other people.
New Year's Tree -- because gifts are exchanged on New Year's Eve and not Christmas
Looking down Khreschatyk
Christmas greetings from a Kyiv city official
New Year's greetings from president Victor Yanukovych
Coke advertisement!  I've also seen lots of billboards for Oreos since I've been back.
Looking back toward Maidan Nezalezhnosti
Zoloti Vorota, one of the ancient city gates
Thanks for joining me on this tour of downtown!  Merry Christmas!

PS If you want to see more of my photos, visit my Facebook page and look at the album titled, "Ukrainian Christmas 2011."

No comments:

Post a Comment