Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Сила моя в Тебе, Господь

Tonight at church (in MD), we sang this song in English--You are My All in All. I was certain that I had the lyrics either printed or on my computer in Russian at home, and wished that I had the song memorized (in Russian).

When it came time to sing the chorus, I sang the first line in Russian, but couldn't remember the word for "worthy", so I couldn't sing any further. (It's достоин if you were wondering.)

Here are the lyrics in Russian, with my rough translation. So rough, in fact, that I'm not going to use Google to help me. You can find the English translation on the web, but this a taste of what it is like for me on Sundays in Kiev. Most of the time we sing songs that I know, but I don't know all the words in the Russian versions. Often, I pull out my dictionary or ask someone what a word means, just to better understand what I'm singing.

Also, notice the difference between the title below (in bold italics) and the first line of the song. They are exactly the same words, but the italics makes the letters become cursive, and so some are written differently!


Сила моя в Тебе, Господь

Сила моя в Тебе, Господь,
Ты исцеляешь мою плоть,
Мой Всемогущий Бог.

Где бы я ни был, Ты со мной,
слышу повсюду голос Твой,
Мой вездесущий Бог.

Иисус, Агнец Божий
Достоин имени своего.

Взял мой позор, мой грех, мой крест,
Благословлю имя Твоё
Ты для меня всё.
Я упал вниз, Ты поднял вверх,
Жаждал я, Ты мне дал воды,
Ты для меня всё.

My rough translation:
My strength's in you, Lord
You [?] my [?]
My almighty God.

Where I would be (?), You're with me
I listen [?] your voice
My omnipresent God

Jesus, lamb of God
Worthy is your name

[?] my [?], my sin, my [?]
I thank your name
You're for me always
I [? ?], You [? ?]
I [?], you give me water
You're for me always


PS I found these lyrics online and saw a word I didn't recognize--"весздесущий". It reminded me of "всемогущий", which means all-powerful (literally, something like all-able). The word above had "здес", which means here, and a similar ending, so I knew it was an adjective. I wondered if it might mean omnipresent, but when I checked on Google translate, it didn't work. I looked more closely and thought, what if I take out the "с" before the "з" (s and z sound similar)? Maybe the с shouldn't be there--sure enough, that worked, and I got my correct translation--omnipresent!
This is a scary thought that I can find typos in Russian--and this is not the first time!

1 comment:

  1. :) well done :)

    i added the words instead of [?] :D

    My strength's in you, Lord
    You [heal] my [flesh]
    My almighty God.

    [Wherever I am], You're with me
    I [hear] your voice [everywhere]
    My omnipresent God

    Jesus, lamb of God
    Worthy is your name

    [You took] my [shame], my sin, my [cross]
    I bless your name
    You're for me always [You're everything to me]
    I [fell down], You [raised me up]
    I [was thirsty], you give me water
    You're for me always [You're everything to me]

    ReplyDelete